RSVP by November 1, 2017
September has arrived which means it’s back- to- school time for the kids! There is so much to talk about with your children during this exciting time of change, including new classmates, new teachers, a new classroom and for some, a new school! In short, there are a lot of experiences that your child will encounter as they settle in to the start of the school year. However, engaging in conversations about your child’s school day can be a challenge! Below is a list of strategies you may find helpful to use with your child to promote successful communication and productive conversations about their school day!
- Start your interaction with an enthusiastic hello!
- Starting conversations with phrases such as: “It’s great to see you!” or “I missed you” or “I hope you had a good day” are good ways to initiate a conversation upon seeing your child! Try using these positive statements instead of starting with a question.
- Wait and Listen!
- Give your child some ‘wait time’ before starting up a conversation. Provide them the opportunity to initiate a conversation or talk about their day all on their own! You may be surprised about what they choose to talk about. Be sure to listen, and not interrupt. This lets them know that they have your full and undivided attention during the conversation.
- Avoid Open-ended questions!
- You may find that you have more productive conversations with questions that are more focused. Here are some examples of ‘focused questions.” Here are some examples:
- “What was your favorite part of the day?”
- “What was your least favorite part of the day?”
- “Who is your favorite person to sit next to?”
- “Who is the funniest person in your class? Why are they funny?”
- “Did you help someone today?” “Did someone help you today?”
- “What is your favorite spot in the classroom?”
- “When did you feel happy today?”
- “What was something you did that was easy?” “What was something you did that was hard?”
Starting a new routine and tolerating the differences and changes can be challenging for many students. We hope you found this information helpful. We wish you all a great start to the 2017-2018 School Year!
Talking Strategies. Retrieved from: http//:www. Pbs.org/parents/education/going-to-school/talking-with-kids-about school/talking-strategies/ Pepper, J., Weitzman, E. (2004). It Takes Two to Talk.
Did you Know? National School Backpack Awareness Day is September 20, 2017 – See more at: http://www.aota.org/backpack#sthash.FfMrVvsD.dpuf
Academy Arts Performance
Thursday Theater to “Click Clack Moo, Cows That Type”
Academy Arts Performance:
Wednesday Dance to “Footloose”